Corporate Investigations Be Handled by Inside or Outside Professional Investigators ?
Various incidents can occur at a place of work. These occurrences can require the attention of the management or even a private investigator if the issue is complicated. Ignoring such happenings can tarnish a company’s reputation and even affect the business negatively if the issue becomes public. Consequently, it is better to investigate any dispute in an enterprise properly.
Employers can settle conflicts on misconduct, interpersonal matter or performance of workers without involving a private investigator. However, legal counsel may be essential in some instances. Issues associated with allegations of violence, harassment, discrimination, drugs, theft, and identity fraud or other serious problems should be investigated.
Many employers may prefer to resolve conflicts internally. Such managers may feel that hiring a private investigator is intrusive. However, complicated issues can get out of proportion if not properly investigated. Employers who hinder investigative processes will be held liable for serious incidents that occur in their organizations.
Private investigators are individuals trained to scrutinize complex issues in companies especially those with business and/or corporate backgrounds.
They are impartial and neutral to such occurrences. These professionals can obtain information that can be useful in resolving such matters. They know how to get evidence relating to any alleged wrongdoing. These experts can interview the witnesses and parties involved in the case and record their statements. Also, their services are useful if a legal action results from an incident.
Here are situations that will necessitate the services of a private investigator.
• Inexperienced Company Investigator: Workplace investigations require adequate training. An outside professional is needed if the company investigator is not experienced to investigate an incident.
• Biased Judgment: The company investigator may not be trusted if he has any relationship with the witnesses or individuals involved in an incident.
• Questionable Credibility: The impartiality of an investigator may be doubted if a senior employee took part in the case under investigation. The status of the senior worker may influence the credibility of the investigator.
• Serious Allegations: It is better to hire a private investigator to handle serious issues such as theft, violence, sexual harassment, discrimination, and others. An outsider will be neutral to the incident under investigation since he is not an employee of the company.
• Legal Action: A report and film evidence by a private investigator may be required if litigation follows an incident.
• Employees’ Perception: In many cases workers feel more comfortable to discuss an alleged wrongdoing with an outsider whom they
perceive to be neutral to the case than a senior employee or internal investigator.
• Media Attention: The services of a private investigator can help maintain the reputation of the company if an incident may attract public attention. Hiring an outsider to scrutinize an alleged misconduct indicates the organization’s concern in the maintenance of a secure working environment.
Hiring a private investigator can in fact boost the morale of the employees. It gives them the impression that their employer is concerned about their welfare. Relying on an internal investigator may dampen their spirits, as the credibility of the investigation is questionable. Besides, licensed private investigators depending on their background can bring the necessary experience required for Corporate Investigations They can carry out most workplace investigation efficiently and beyond reproach. Employers should strive to maintain a safe working environment by resolving workplace incidents appropriately by using the expertise of a highly skilled private investigator.
© COPYRIGHT CHRISTOPHER M.CAVALLO/CSI SECURE SOLUTIONS 2017 THE UNITED STATES & CANADA AND BY INTERNATIONAL TREATIES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PROTECTED BY THE COPYRIGHT LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES 7 CANADA AND BY INTERNATIONAL TREATIESIT IS ILLEGAL AND STRICTLY PROHIBITED TO DISTRIBUTE, PUBLISH, OFFER FOR SALE, LICENSE OR SUBLICENSE, GIVE OR DISCLOSE TO ANY OTHER PARTY, THIS PRODUCT IN HARD COPY OR DIGITAL FORM. ALL OFFENDERS WILL BE SUED IN A COURT OF LAW.